Shrewsbury Town 2 – 1 Tividale

This first league game since mid December was supposed to take place at home but with our pitch unplayable we reversed the fixture and set out on the long journey to Whitchurch to take on Shrewsbury Town.

Tividale started the brighter of the two teams and controlled the play early on. The Shrewsbury back line are a big strong outfit and were defending well and because of this chances were limited. The first half chance fell to Tividale on 10 minutes when a Tom Edwards strike was well saved after some neat, patient build up play by the visitors.

On 15 minutes Kyle Edwards saw his volley go wide after another slick period of play. Tividale were playing some great passing football, especially from the back, but Shrewsbury came closest to scoring on 20 minutes when a flick on in the box hit the post.

On 26 minutes, against the run of play, they did take the lead from the penalty spot after an infringement in the box; 1-0 Shrewsbury! Tividale’s heads didn’t drop and just before half time Alex Johnson went close with a fierce strike after a forceful run down the left.

HT – Shrewsbury Town 1 – 0 Tividale

Tividale began the second half like they started the first and almost got an immediate equaliser when the impressive Kyle Edwards went on a skilful, mazy run from the half way line but his shot lacked power and was easily saved.

On 34 minutes Kyle made another fantastic run but his throughball to Tom was a fraction overhit and Tividale couldn’t capitalise.

A minute later Kyle, now running riot, almost scored when he was played in by Luke Preedy but his effort went wide. On 38 minutes yet another fantastic run from Kyle saw him play in Jack Mills but his shot went wide.

Shrewsbury were battling well and looking dangerous on the break and on 49 minutes they doubled their lead with a shot from distance that looked harmless but as Shane Willetts got down to gather the ball it took a wicked bobble and looped over him into the back of the net; 2-0 Shrewsbury!

To their credit, Tividale kept on going and almost got a goal from the restart when an Anthony James volley went wide. On 54 minutes Alex Johnson went on a strong run down the right and he got his shot away, which came back oft the post to Anthony, who was then brought down in the box by a Shrewsbury defender; penalty!

Kyle stepped up and rifled the ball home to give Tividale hope; 2-1 Shrewsbury!

2 minutes later Kyle almost got an equaliser but he dragged his shot wide and in the dying moments Jack Mills had a fierce strike well saved by the Shrewsbury keeper and that was the last action of the game. A disappointing result but a brilliant effort against a very good Shrewsbury team.

 FT – Shrewsbury Town 2 – 1 Tividale