Coton Green vs Tividale

Midweek Floodlight Challenge Cup
27th November 2018
Score: 2 : 3

Match Report

Midweek Floodlight Cup
2nd Round
Tuesday 27th November 2018
Coton Green 2-3 Tividale

 Tivi Cot Green out of the cup

Tividale began their Birmingham County Midweek Floodlight Cup campaign with a hard working win over a determined Coton Green side, who although play at a level below Tividale were never overawed and stood toe to toe with the visitors at times.

Manager Dave King once again rolled out the changes with Harvey Walker, Rion Francis-Mills and Jake Brigdale brought in to replace Lee Smith, Liam Wilkinson and Demetri Brown. Tividale also reverted to a back three.

In an even start to the game the home side had the first real chance when the ball fell for Romario Rose, but he could not keep his shot down and Ryan Cheshire watched it go over. Ben Birch then headed wide a Brad Welding corner before Brigdale saw his shot from distance come back off the cross bar. Then a Welding cross was also turned against the bar by Francis-Mills.

Coton had a great chance to open the scoring when Luke Mills-Fleming went through on goal but he shot over the bar. Tividale took the lead on 27 minutes when Welding hit a cross-field ball to Darragh Bustin and his cross was headed home by Francis-Mills this after outjumping two Coton defenders. On 37 minutes a Walker drive was well held by Coton keeper Matthew Bloore. Two minutes later and Coton’s Cameron McMenemy will feel he should really have done better when he was unmarked when he headed over Rose’s cross after some great work down their right between Richard Deavall and Jordan Hunt.

In the 44th minute Tividale went 2-0 up and it came via another Welding wonder strike. Once again cutting inside from the right flank and hitting a curling effort into the top corner. Personally I don’t think it was as good as his strike against Dudley Town but it was definitely up there. the last piece of action of the half was right on the stroke of half time when Curtis Cocking put one over the bar

Half Time:- Coton Green 0-2 Tividale

The second half started with Tividale very much in charge but despite numerous chances they could not extend their lead and on 65 minutes Coton were thrown a lifeline when a mistimed Tom Hurdman tackle in the box on Matt Murphy resulted in a penalty kick. One in which Murphy duly converted. On 71 minutes Tividale substitute Dan Smith hit a superb half volley over the bar.

Despite the Coton goal Tividale continued to press and in the 82nd minute the pressure told. After about 5 minutes of a Tividale siege in the Coton penalty area. in which Ben Birch had two efforts blocked in quick succession. The ball broke to Dan Smith and he whipped in a cross that was headed home by Cocking from 8 yards out.

Tividale continued to dominate the half but were given a nervous last 4 minutes when from a Coton attack Tividale failed to clear their lines and Murphy slammed the loose ball home from inside the 6 yard box. but in the end it turned out to be a consolation goal as Tividale ran out winners.

Full Time:- Coton Green 2-3 Tividale

Tividale:-1. Ryan Cheshire, 2. Tom Hurdman (14. Lee Smith 70), 3. Darragh Bustin, 4. Ben Birch, 5. Karl Gardner, 6. Reece Shilvock 7. Harvey Walker, (15. Liam Wilkinson 78), 8. Bradley Welding 9. Jake Brigdale (16. Dan Smith 75), 10, Rion Francis-Mills, 11. Curtis Cocking.

Unused Subs:- 12. Demetri Brown,


2. Tom Hurdman
5. Karl Gardner
3. Darragh Bustin
20. Jake Brigdale
19. Harvey Walker
16. Bradley WeldingGoal
11. Curtis CockingGoal
4. Benjamin Birch
21. Rion Francis-MillsGoal
18. Reece Shilvock
1. Ryan Cheshire


8. Liam WilkinsonSub19
9. Daniel SmithSub20
7. Lee SmithSub2