Tividale vs Paget Rangers

Midweek Floodlight Challenge Cup
19th December 2018
Score: 5 : 1

Match Report

Birmingham Midwek Floodlit Cup
Quarter Final
Wednesday 19th December 2018
Tividale 5-1 Paget Rangers

Paget Punished


Tividale were back to their best in this win over a a very useful Paget Rangers and although the scoreline may have flattered them. There was no doubting as to the better side and Tividale fully deserved the win.

Tividale welcomed back Liam Wilkinson and Reece Shilvock in the middle of the park with Harvey Walker unavailable and Tom Hurdman out with a couple of fractured fingers. Ben Birch returned to the starting line up after suspension and Alex Cameron started up front with Karl Gardner and Rion Francis-Mills dropping to the bench.

The game as expected started off at a rapid tempo and Paget had the first chance after just 3 minutes when a Kory Burke shot was deflected goal bound by Shilvock but Ryan Cheshire did will to turn it out for a corner. Cameron had Tividale’s first sight at goal but his effort was cleared off the line. Tividale were now the more dominant side and on 23 minutes they took the lead. Great one touch football between Welding and Brown ended with Welding passing the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Paget’s Jack Moss then tested Cheshire with a long range effort that he held comfortably and at the other end Shilvock was on the end of a Bustin cross but his shot was well saved by Paget keeper Conal Dowling.

Jack Jenkins then forced Cheshire to turn away a dangerous cross. But Tividale went 2-0 up on 37 minutes when Ben Birch stopped Paget striker Ross Dempsey in his tracks with a brilliant tackle played the ball into Shilvock, who in turn found Brown with a reverse pass and he drilled the ball home.

A minute before half time and it was 3-0. Bustin drove into the Paget box played the ball into Brown who finished at the second time of asking after Dowling had blocked his initial shot.

Half Time:- Tividale 3-0 Paget Rangers

Although Tividale were now in control Paget were always going to be dangerous and on 50 minutes Cheshire produced an outstanding point blank save to deny the visitors. Bustin made it 4-0 in the 59th minute cutting in from the left flank and then hit a wonderful curling effort into the top corner. Two minutes later and it was 5-0. Again Tividale cutting through the Paget midfield and backline with some delightful football and Brown ran onto a through ball to steer the ball past Dowling and into the net. Paget did get onto the score sheet in the 68th minute when Ross Dempster converted from the penalty spot.

Despite the goal the home side were now in cruise control and although Paget battled away they were never going to get back into this game as Tividale’s one touch football and ball retention was back to what earlier in the season.

As said before, all in all it was a much improved performance on our last few outings and we now move into the semi final of the Birmingham Floodlit Cup.

Full Time:- Tividale 5-1 Paget Rangers


Tividale supporters Man of the Match – Ben Birch

Tividale:- 1. Ryan Cheshire, 2. Bradley Welding, 3. Darragh Bustin, 4. Ben Birch, 5. Dan Bryson, 6. Freddie Watts, 7. Reece Shilvock, 8. Liam Wilkinson, 9. Alex Cameron (15. Jake Brigdale 50), 10. Demetri Brown (16, Elliott Hartley 72). 11. Curtis Cocking (14. Karl Gardner 72)

Unused Subs:- 12. Rion Francis-Mills


10. Demetri BrownGoalGoalGoal
12. Frederick Watts
3. Darragh BustinGoal
8. Liam Wilkinson
16. Bradley WeldingGoal
11. Curtis Cocking
6. Daniel Bryson
4. Benjamin Birch
18. Reece Shilvock
25. Alex Cameron
1. Ryan Cheshire


5. Karl GardnerSub11
20. Jake BrigdaleSub25
14. Elliott HartleySub10
21. Rion Francis-Mills