Tividale vs Malvern Town

West Midland Regional League Premier Division
16th February 2019
Score: 1 : 1

Match Report

West Midland Regional League

Premier Division

Saturday 16th February 2019

Tividale 1-1 Malvern Town

Tense thriller end in a tie

I doubt if anyone left The Beeches disappointed as Tividale and in form Malvern Town battled out a 1-1 draw. In the only change to the side that beat Brocton in midweek, Tividale brought in Jamal Fuller at left wing back and pushed Darragh Bustin up front to partner Demetri Brown in place of Alex Cameron.

Tividale had the first chance of the game after just 4 minutes but Matt Hunt’s back post header from a Bustin corner lacked the power to trouble Malvern keeper Charlie Weaver. The home side had a great chance to go ahead on 7 minutes when Fuller broke through the Malvern high back line. Swept the ball past Weaver but Malvern defender Aaron Griffiths did brilliantly to get back and cleared the ball off the line.

Malvern slowly got into the game and though they threatened at times, in that spell Tividale keeper Ryan Cheshire was not really troubled. Tividale carried on creating the best of the chance and on 25 minutes they were unfortunate not to take the lead when a Lee Smith shot was deflected off a defenders knee and onto the cross bar after 22 minutes and from the rebound Smith put his header goal bound but that was also cleared off the line by the same Malvern defender.

As much as Tividale had their chances the visitors were always looking dangerous and on the half hour they took the lead. Harry Clarke took the ball to the Tividale bye line and crossed to the back post were Dave Reynolds was able to get a shot off that was parried away by Cheshire but it fell invitingly to Clark who had carried on his run into the box and he side footed the rebound home. Tividale continued to press and 10 minutes later they were level. Tividale went long and Bustin latched onto the ball and lobbed the advancing Weaver to make it 1-1.

On the stroke of half time Tividale had a chance to go in front. From a Bustin long throw Malvern half cleared it. Smith lobbed it back into the danger zone and Ben Birch headed it just past the post.

Half Time:- Tividale 1-1 Malvern Town

Bustin was denied by a Weaver save in the 48th minute and a minute later Reynolds had Malvern’s first chance of the second period when his shot was pushed away by Cheshire. Cheshire was on hand again when he got his fingers to a Steve Webb drive and put it over the bar in the 55th minute.

On 64 minutes Cameron (who had came on for Liam Wilkinson) was put through by a Brown touch but as he tried to guide the ball past Weaver the keeper did well spreading himself and blocking the shot. Malvern’s Reynolds then saw his shot saved by Cheshire after he was found unmarked at the back post by Clarke.

The last 20 minutes was a real stalemate as both defences dominated and both sides struggled to break the deadlock by creating a clear-cut chance. Apart from Ben Birch’s 85th minute shot that Weaver had no trouble fielding and neither keeper had any alarms of note and the game ended in a draw

Full Time:- Tividale 1-1 Malvern Town


Tividale Supporters Man of the Match – Tom Hurdman

Tividale:-1. Ryan Cheshire, 2. Tom Hurdman, 3. Jamal Fuller (16. Bradley Welding 65), 4. Ben Birch, 5. Dan Bryson. 6. Matt Hunt, 7. Lee Smith, 8. Liam Wilkinson (15. Alex Cameron 60), 9. Darragh Bustin, 10. Demetri Brown, 11. Curtis Cocking.

Unused Substitutes:-12. Harvey Walker, 14. Karl Gardner, 17. James Welch.


10. Demetri Brown
2. Tom Hurdman
3. Darragh BustinGoal
8. Liam Wilkinson
22. Matthew Hunt
11. Curtis Cocking
6. Daniel Bryson
7. Lee Smith
4. Benjamin Birch
27. Jamel Fuller
1. Ryan Cheshire


5. Karl Gardner
19. Harvey Walker
16. Bradley WeldingSub27
23. James Welch
25. Alex CameronSub8