Newcastle Town vs Tividale

NPL, Div 1 South
24th January 2015
Score: 2 : 1

Match Report

 Evo-Stik Northern Premier

 First Division South

 Saturday  24th January 2015

 Newcastle Town FC  2 – 1  Tividale FC  

 Tividale lose to stoppage time sickener

newcastle handshake

An injury time winner and other results going their way sent Newcastle Town to the top of the league. But the visitors can be proud of their showing in this game and did not deserve to lose it.

Newcastle started the game in confident fashion and for the first 20 minutes Tividale could not get near them as they knocked the ball about at will. The only problem that Town had was that for all their possession they never threatened the Tividale goal and keeper Jack Hayfield was a virtual spectator.

The game came to life on 20 minutes when Castle full back Cohen Bramall was booked for a rash challenge on Nigel Penney and it sprung Tividale into life and they then dragged themselves back into the game by bypassing Castles impressive three man midfield and getting the ball forward as soon as possible to the Tividale forwards where the power of Deqwon Ebanks and the pace of Jordan Archer were causing the Castle defence problems.

Just as Tividale were really getting on top they fell to a sucker punch when Castle against the run of play went a goal ahead on 38 minutes. A counter attack that involved some neat interchanging passing ended with captain Tim Sanders stroking the ball wide of the advancing Hayfield’s left hand and into the net.

Half Time:- Newcastle Town FC  1 – 0  Tividale FC 

Tividale made a change for the second half with Sam Williams replacing Danny Ashton in an obvious attempt to match up with Castles three men in the middle of the park. Within two minutes of the restart Tividale where level and no doubt the Tividale management will claim the change for it. But it came from a Penney corner that Richard Huckfield headed towards goal and Archer had the last touch.

The game then seemed to meander along as Castle could not find a way to break through the Tividale defence and they even at times went from their neat passing game to hitting hopeful long balls forward that Huckfield and Luke Paskin were winning with little pressure. At the other end Ebanks and Archer was keeping their back four on their toes but they also could not trouble castle keeper Adam Alcock. As the game moved into the last quarter you felt that if the visitors had gone at the home side instead of playing the containing game and making sure they did not concede then maybe the injury time heartbreak would not have occurred.

As the game moved into injury time Tividale substitute Jean-Michel Gueyes cut in from the right flank and just could not get his shot off and in the end lost the ball. The ball then fell nicely to Penney and in retrospect maybe he should have put the ball back into the Castle penalty area. Instead he tried a square pass into the middle of the park, Castle nicked possession and they had hit the winner within three passes. the move ending with Elliott Osborne cutting the ball back for Jose Gurrionero to fire home.

Full Time :-L Newcastle Town FC  2 – 1  Tividale FC 

Tividale FC: 1 Jack Hayfield, 2 Chris Field, 3 Zach Foster, 4 Chris Field, 5 Richard Huckfield, 6 Luke Paskin, 7 Nigel Penney 8. David Bellis, 9 Deqwon Ebanks (15 Karl Edwards 88), 10 Jordan Archer (Jean-Michel Gueyes 79), 11 Daniel Ashton (14 Sam Williams 46)

Subs not used: 12 Mark Smith 17 Desean Martin


Chris Field
Luke Paskin
Andrew Parsons
Richard Huckfield
David Bellis
Danny Ashton
Jordan ArcherGoal
Nigel Penney
Zac Foster


Sam WilliamsSub
Karl EdwardsSub
Mark Smith
Jean-Michel GueyesSub
Desean Martin