vs Tividale

NPL, Div 1 South
8th April 2015
Score: 0 : 1

Match Report

 Evo-Stik Northern Premier

First Division South

Wednesday 8th April 2015

Mickleover Sports FC 0-1 Tividale FC

Champions elect find Tividale no push over


Individual talent, debatable incidents and a sprinkling of controversy were the ingredients for a pulsating game of football at Mickleover Sports Raygar Stadium. In the end It was another piece of brilliance that was the stand out moment in another superb Tividale performance.

The home side began the game knowing that two wins from their final four games would guarantee promotion to the Evo-Stik Premier. But as Tividale Assistant Manager Richard Colwell said before the game “We won’t turn up and roll over tonight – we don’t do that for any team.”

Both sides made bright starts to the game and though it was lacking in early goalmouth action it was certainly abundant in effort and endeavour.

The first real chance of the game fell to the home side when on 30 minutes a Karl Demidh effort was well held by Charlie Price in the Tividale goal. Tividale’s first chance was a free kick 4 minutes later by Zac Foster but he got his effort all wrong and it sailed high and wide.

Tividale were no matching the illustrious hosts and Danny Ashton had Mickleover keeper Ross Atkins diving at full stretch in the 34th minute to keep out his pile driver. At the other end the evergreen Gary Ricketts was using his height, strength and skill to full advantage and he caused the Tividale centre back pairing of Luke Paskin and Mark Smith all sorts of problems throughout the game and may well feel that he should have got on the score sheet with a couple of first half efforts.

The best one of those was on 41 minutes when the ball was bundled into the Tividale net but it was ruled out from the assistant who saw his foul on keeper Price even though referee Mr. Taylor didn’t or on the other hand he had spotted it and was just trying to balance up a howler he made minutes before when he was the only person in the ground to see a foul on Price which rightly incensed the home dug out.

Half Time:- Mickleover Sports 0-0 Tividale FC

It was 5 minutes into the second half before the inform Jordan Archer had his first sight on goal. With his now familiar turn of foot he held off the challenge of home defender Dwayne Wiley but he shot over Atkins bar.

On 70 minutes Tividale won a free kick on the edge of the Mickleover box and before it was taken Tividale made a substitution replacing Chris Field with dead ball supremo Leigh Downing and he immediately stood over the ball. The referee blew his whistle and Downing proceeded with his first touch to hit a stunning free kick that curled over the wall and dipped under the crossbar and into the back of the net with Atkins beaten and grasping at fresh air.

For the rest of the game Mickleover huffed and puffed but apart from a couple of times when they breached an impressive Tividale defensive line on one of those occasions forcing a brilliant save from Price they never looked like getting the equaliser. On the other hand Tividale did what they have done so impressively in this unbeaten run “took the lead and managed the game” and they could have extended their lead in the 84th minute when Atkins was forced to turn a Downing effort around the post.

Full Time:- Mickleover Sports 0-1 Tividale FC

Tividale:- 1 Charlie Price, 2 Andrew Parsons, 3 Zach Foster, 4 David Bellis, 5 Mark Smith, 6 Luke Paskin, 7 Nigel Penney (14 Sam Williams 73) , 8 Ryan Winwood, 9 Jordan Archer (12 Richard Huckfield 90), 10 Chris Field (15 Leigh Downing 70), 11 Danny Ashton

Unused Subs:- 13 Paul Evans, 16 Saquille Leachman-Whittingham


Charlie Price
Chris Field
Luke Paskin
Andrew Parsons
David Bellis
Mark Smith
Danny Ashton
Jordan Archer
Nigel Penney
Zac Foster
Ryan Winwood


Richard HuckfieldSub
Sam WilliamsSub
Leigh DowningGoalSub