Tividale vs Sporting Khalsa

JW Hunt Cup - Tividale win 4-3 on pens
23rd April 2015
Score: 0 : 0

Match Report

JW Hunt  Cup

Quarter Final

Tuesday 23rd April 2015

Tividale FC 0-0 Sporting Khalsa FC (aet)

Tividale win 4-3 on penalties


Tividale spot kings deny Khalsa

Tividale continued with their bid to win a second successive JW Hunt Cup win with a hard earned victory over the newly crowned  WMRL Premier Champions Sporting Khalsa that earned a semi final tie against Midland league side Alvechurch FC .

This was never going to be a game for the purist as both teams were intent on ending their season with a consecutive trip to the Molineux next month.

Right from the off, the ball was like a like a hot potato jumping from one side to another with neither side able to obtain any decent spell of possession. Tividale’s game plan looked to try and put the ball in the space behind the Khalsa back line and make the most of Jordan Archer’s pace. While Khalsa were happy to play on the counter feeding the ball into Nisbett and trying to get the midfield to support him.


It was a good 20 minutes before the first attempt arrived. Tividale actually succeeded in putting a few passes together, the ball was then fed into Jordan Archer who held up the ball with his back to goal, played it off to the advancing midfielder David Bellis and his strike just cleared the Khalsa bar. Tividale while controlling the possession never even threatened the Khalsa defence that was well marshaled by Tefla Robinson let alone trouble keeper James Pemberton.

On the half hour the home side almost conceded against the run of play when after some good work by Nisbett he then put through Bradley Lawley but the wide man shot wide.

Tividale hit back immediately with a Leigh Downing effort but Pemberton just watched it sail wide. On 37 minutes Danny Ashton flicked on a long Paul Evans goal kick for Archer who cut inside centre back Joe Rogers but his shot was blocked by Carlo Franco.

Khalsa had possibly the best chance of the half when from a Chris Rabone corner Robinson headed wide from the centre of the goal.



Half Time:- Tividale FC 0-0 Sporting Khalsa FC


The second half began with more Tividale pressure but still the visiting defence stood firm and when they did break through Pemberton was not going to be beaten easily this was highlighted by a flying save to deny Ashton on 52 minutes. 4 minutes later a Zac Foster corner was headed wide by Richard Huckfield via his shoulder.

As the game moved into the last 20 minutes with a bit of luck or even a better run of the ball, Khalsa could have gone in front when a Lee Wherton free kick was spilled by Evans but luckily it fell to Huckfield and he cleared. It was now looking likely that any break of the deadlock was going to be winner and  the last 10 minutes saw Khalsa go for it with their best spell of pressure in the game and really put the experienced Tividale defence to the test.

Yet still it was Tividale who had a great chance to grab a last minute winner when Ashton cut in from the left but his shot again went wide of Pemberton’s post.

Full Time:- Tividale FC 0-0 Sporting Khalsa FC



After a tough week where both sides were playing their third game in 6 days, 30 minutes of extra time was the last thing they needed but this is what it had come to as nothing could separate the sides.

Khalsa substitute this season’s prolific goal scorer Gary Bannister had the first chance on 96 minutes but his effort was always going the wrong side of Evan’s post and that was the only real attempt in the first period.

As at the end of the second half Khalsa made all the running in the closing minutes of extra time. A Nisbett cross flashed across the face of the home sides goal but no Khalsa player was able to get that vital touch. Right on 120 minutes Ashton went down in the box under pressure but Tividale’s penalty appeals were turned down.

After Extra Time:- Tividale FC 0-0 Sporting Khalsa FC

And so for the third time this season Tividale went into the dreaded penalty shoot. The good news was the previous two against Norton and Romulus were both successful.

Tividale’s Foster stepped up for the first but his kick was saved by Pemberton. Evans then saved Khalsa’s first, denying Nicky Campbell. Karl Edwards made it 1-0 to Tividale and Bannister made it 1-1. Ashton put Tividale 2-1 up and then Evans saved the Michael Perks penalty. Ryan Winwood had the chance to pile the pressure on Khalsa but Pemberton denied him still 2-1. Wherton then levelled things up – 2-2. Archer made no mistake for Tividale making it 3-2 and Khalsa’s Bradley Lawley made it 3-3.

So down to the last two penalties of the minimum 6 each and literally sudden death. Andrew Parsons stepped up and blasted home to make it 4-3. It was now down to Khalsa’s Tim Jackson to extend the shoot out, but he got it all wrong and fired high over the bar and  Tividale were through

Parson’s winning Penalty

Tividale FC: 1 Paul Evans, 2 Chris Field, 3 Zac Foster, 4 David Bellis, 5 Mark Smith, 6 Richard Huckfield, 7 Ryan Winwood, 8. Sam Williams (15 Andrew Parsons 69),  9 Jordan Archer, 10 Leigh Downing (16 Nigel Penney 54),(12 Karl Edwards 106), 11 Daniel Ashton

Subs not used: 13  Charlie Price, 14 Luke Paskin

Click here for match photographs on our TiviFCOfficial Flickr Page

Click here for match photographs Courtesy of Steve Evans

Click here for match live photographs and video clips on our @TiviFCOfficial Instagram Page

Click here for our Media Gallery