Alvechurch vs Tividale

J W Hunt Cup 2nd Round
30th April 2015
Score: 1 : 3

Match Report

JW Hunt  Cup

Semi Final 

Tuesday 23rd April 2015 

Alvechurch 1-3 Tividale FC 

(Played at AFC Wulfruniuns) 


Church don’t have a prayer against Tividale

Holders Tividale reached the JW Hunt Cup final for the second year in succession with a disciplined if not spectacular win over Alvechurch at the Castlecroft Stadium home of AFC Wulfruniuns.

To say that Tividale dominated may be a little tough on a Alvechurch side that battled away throughout the 90 minutes but the facts were that apart from some rare counter attack’s and a bit of goalmouth action mid way through the second half they were never really able to test their higher league rivals who never really had to get out of second gear.

Tividale were on top from the start and after 9 minutes Leigh Downing had Alvechurch keeper Stuart Parsons parrying away a free kick. Church were not going to lie down for Tividale and made sure that they made a game of it with some crunching tackles in the first 25 minutes with Mitchell Botfield, Jordan Archer and Danny Ashton feeling the full force of them. Botfield had to be substituted on 24 minutes with an injury he could not shrug off to be replaced by Ryan Winwood.

Still beside that it was Tividale on the offensive and the game was played almost entirely in the Church half and on 28 minutes Archer found a bit of space from his marker Toby Checketts but headed over an Ashton cross when he may feel he should have worked the keeper.

The opener came on 32 minutes when a Winwood free kick just in the Church half out on the right seemed to evade everyone and defender Luke Paskin turned it home past Parsons, not that Paskin was 100% sure what actually happened. Tividale’s next chance on goal came on 45 minutes when Archer chested down a Winwood cross but his turn and volley saw the ball sail over Parsons bar.

Half Time:- Alvechurch FC 0-1 Tividale FC

After his effort on goal at the end of the half when he seemed to land awkwardly Archer did not return for the second half and was replaced by Karl Edwards. Tividale continued to dominate and Downing was unlucky when he struck the Church bar on 51 minutes.

Tividale were 2-0 up on 70 minutes when after some neat passing between Downing and Edwards,  left back Zach Foster was played in and he calmly slotted the ball home.

Alvechurch for all there hard work were now beginning to struggle as the last 15 minutes loomed  and it looked like Tividale would now run away with it but Church were given a lifeline with a wonder strike on 74 minutes. Church’s Luke Dugmore looked to pose no real threat from his wide right position and about 25 yards out but he moved inside and hit a curling effort with the outside of his right boot that sailed over Tividale keeper Paul Evans and into the top corner.

Church then had a brief spell were with a little more composure they may have leveled up the game with the two decent chances that came their way. But they failed to and on 81 minutes Tividale regained there two goal advantage when again some neat passing culminated with Ashton whipping in a great cross from the dead ball line and Edwards headed home the goal his second half display deserved.

The goal ended any chance Church had of an unlikely comeback and Tividale in the end ran out comfortable winners.

Full Time:- Alvechurch FC 0-1 Tividale FC

Tividale FC:- 1 Paul Evans, 2 Chris Field, 3 Zach Foster, 4 David Bellis, 5 Mark Smith, 6 Luke Paskin, 7 Daniel Ashton (12 Andrew Parsons 85), 8. Sam Williams,  9 Jordan Archer (16 Karl Edwards 45), 10 Leigh Downing, 11 Mitchell Botfield (14 Ryan Winwood 24)

Subs not used: 13  Charlie Price, 15 Richard Huckfield